05 Jan Discover Our Innovative Radiotherapy Techniques
At San Cristóbal Cancer Institute, radiotherapy is our specialty. Our cancer care leadership and medical staff have mastered a variety of radiology techniques by effectively treating a wide array of cancers for nearly 30 years. We are now on a mission to restore hope to patients with the most advanced radiotherapy available in Ponce and beyond. Radiotherapy is an effective treatment for cancer that has been used safely for many years—in fact, nearly two out of every three cancer patients receive some type of radiotherapy during their treatment. In basic terms, radiotherapy works by limiting the ability of cancer cells to grow and spread. This therapy disrupts the DNA of these fast-growing cancer cells and prevents them from replicating. Discover some of the innovative cancer therapies available at San Cristóbal Cancer Institute:
- Image-Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT) – We use imaging during radiation therapy to improve the precision and accuracy of treatment delivery. With this IGRT is used to treat tumors in areas of the body that move, such as the lungs. Learn more about IGRT
- Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) – This advanced form of high-precision radiation therapy uses linear, computer-controlled x-ray accelerators to deliver precise radiation doses to a malignant tumor or specific areas within the tumor. It allows us to deliver the radiation to the three-dimensional shape of the tumor by controlling the intensity of the radiation beam in several small volumes. Learn more about IMRT
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) – This treatment option delivers high doses of radiation to treat tumors with great precision and it’s most commonly used for tumors or other medical conditions in the brain or central nervous system. SRS treatments use high precision, accuracy, and sophisticated 3D imaging to deliver a concentrated dose of radiation in a single treatment. Learn more about SRS
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) – This is becoming an increasingly popular option for treating cancers in the lung, head, and neck, prostate, liver and more. SBRT is a non-invasive treatment procedure similar to SRS, except that it deals with tumors outside the central nervous system. Its objective is to escalate the dose to the target lesion and thus to increase local control while limiting dose to nearby critical structures and normal tissue. Our advanced equipment is designed to treat targets using submillimeter mechanical accuracy. Learn more about SBRT
- Gated RapidArc® Radiotherapy – this innovative technology makes it possible to monitor patient breathing and compensate for tumor motion while quickly delivering dose during a continuous rotation around the patient. This development enables the use of RapidArc to target lung tumors with greater precision by “gating” the beam, turning it on and off, in response to tumor motion. Learn more about GRAR
Want to learn more about Radiotherapy treatments and technology? Review our patient treatment options or Contact Us to learn more about how our team can help cancer patients of all ages in Ponce and beyond. At San Cristóbal Cancer Institute we are your dedicated allies in health.
Are you a Referring Physician?
Share this great medical content with your patients today, join our Referral Network or Contact Us to learn more about how together we can improve the lives of cancer patients and their families.